Friday, January 29, 2010

Good enough or Mediocrity?

I am not a perfectionist. That is good. At least I think so. Heck, I know it. Not being a perfectionist allows me to get stuff done. My husband is a perfectionist. He is also a procrastinator. This would account for the fact that he gets very little done. Don't get me wrong. He isn't lazy. He works fairly hard. Not always but when he does, he sure does. But, as for example, he cannot take the mail from the mail box and sort it right then and there, tear up/shred the junk and process the rest. No, that wouldn't be perfection. So it's dumped on his desk which is burried. He will do it later. Because it has to be entered in Quicken and scanned and then verified and then shredded. Receipts? We have receipts for the last 15 years for everything from milk and gas to appliances in bags.  All to be properly processed, of course. When piles get too big they get swept off the desk into boxes and large shopping paper bags and stashed in the storage room. Because going through them bit by bit wouldn't allow for his perfection. After all he wants to sort through a whole bag in one go. Who has time for that? He doesn't. So, the bag gets placed in the storage room. Of course, he knows it's all gone past the point of sanity. So he avoids it like the plague now. I can't blame him, I am sure I'd get dispirited too. But when I offer to help I am told I won't do it right.

I am the 'a-little-at-a-time' variety. That allows me to finish a project. For the most part.  I am also the 'good-enough' variety.  And that is the part I am pondering lately. When does 'good-enough' lead to the slippery slope of mediocrity? At what point it 'good-enough' no longer good enough?  And how often do I merely engage in mediocrity in the name of being the opposite of my spouse?

Something to think about.

0 comments: